Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wrap up of our trip

When we started to plan for this trip last year, it was dependent upon a couple of things - can Doc go and can we find someone to care for our four legged furry friends.  Once we received confirmation 'CinC says it's a go - Sturgis 2012' from Doc, the planning wheels started to turn.  It took us a while to find a pet sitter for the entire trip but finally came together.  I was anxious for a few things, meeting the folks in camp, going to the senior breakfast and riding Needles Highway.  Looking back, those are all favorite memories of our trip. 

Needles Highway was incredible.  How ofter do you see a curve caution sign of 5 mph?  It was like they prepared you as they started at 20 mph, then 15 mph, then next 10 mph and then 5 mph.  The roads were in great shape, no bumps, gravel or debris to distract you from the corners.  Can't wait to ride it again.

Senior breakfast is a tradition for this group.  And Rose (92 y.o) greets everyone with a hug (see previous post).  And don't think she'll let you pass without one.  A guy tried, was spotted and then she held on a little extra long.  Couldn't help but giggle at the situation.

And then there is camp.  I knew it would be fun based only on the stories from last year.  Jimmy - the comedian.  He had you laughing right out of the gate.  And he'd let you give him a hard time but be careful, he's always one thought ahead of you.   Often Jimmy would jump on his bike, in his pj's, and just ride around in circles.  I watched him one time, curious I raised my hands in questions mouthing - what are you doing?  He just smiled "I'm riding, I'm riding" like a kids learning for the first time.  Goober!!!   Thanks for the laughs Jimmy, you are one in a million.
Good 'ole Red - our story teller.  Just a good 'ole boy.  He is kind, funny, tells the best stories, an 'ah shucks' kind of guy and made me feel welcome right off.  A favorite memory, we arrived at camp and I wanted to impress some of them by guessing who they were.  They had no idea Don gave me the run down just days before.  When it came to Red, I said... you're Red!?!  He looked stunned (or pleased, not sure I'd know the difference) then smiled and said 'I am Red!!' with delight.  You were my favorite until you beat us at corn hole!!  <grin>
Bob - the camp master!!  He has been coming to this campground for over 20 years.  If you need to know where to go, what to see, what to avoid - he'll provide you with it all.  Kind soul, a bit mischievous but all in all one great guy.  Next time we are out there Bob, I will follow through on the foot rub.  Thank you for your hospitality, your creative dinners, breakfasts and for the extended invitation.
All the others - Karen, Kim, Bambi, Jeff, Jeff's wife, Gary, Lorna, Bill and his wife, that one guy and his wife, and that other guy and his wife too.  Holy cow, there were 43 of us in camp, I can't remember all your names!!  You were all so kind and inviting - thank you so much for making my first trip to Sturgis one to remember.

Our traveling group - Doc, good to finally meet you.  You are a wealth of knowledge, kind soul and look forward to another ride.  Dell and Karin - first time two up - you did great!  Gave me laughs when I needed them, let me pout when I needed to, gave me beer when I needed it.  Can't wait to reminisce about the trip and reflect back on comments only we would understand.  Brian and Laura - finally glad to have you catch up to us, ride needles highway and hang out at camp together.  Was good to spend time together.  And then there is best for last - Don, my hero!  You are a great riding partner, a great camping partner, the most patient person.  You are funny, witty, kind, generous and made this trip a real joy for me.  I truly enjoyed the trip and making more life memories together.  If I had one complaint, it would be we had no time to spend as just you and me. How did that happen?  We MUST go back, enjoy it in a different way, hang out at camp more and play more corn hole.  :-)   Thank you for all your encouragement and confidence.  Love you sweetie.

Things I would avoid next time - Lame Dear, Montana!  Did not like this place at all!! 

Things to do again - most everything (except Lame Dear).  I could beat Jimmy at corn hole again, that was a good day!!  :-)

3 comments:

  1. I'll second that motion to by-pass Lame Deer (and its unique flavor of domestic drama) for a gas stop. I'll gamble on making it to Hardin next time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you can count Pat and I in for 2014. She's already talking like it's a "done deal".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found my video of all of you leaving the campsite. Tried to upload it but it seems to be too large. I'll have to experiment with reformatting it.

    ReplyDelete