Friday, August 10, 2012

Crossing the Mississippi

Took this photo from the Illinois Welcome Center (which was closed due to budget cuts) as I came across the river from Bettendorf, Iowa.  This is a very beautiful Welcome Center and campsite.  Wish I could have stayed there but then I would have missed the impromptu party that occurred here at the KOA in Utica, Illinois. 

When I checked into the camp I asked the owner if they had anything to eat and if I could get a beer.  For some reason they took a liking to me and made me a pizza and invited me over to the motorhome across the road from the office where we proceeded to eat pizza and drink beer.  Turns out the campers are a bunch of Chicago cops and their wives and we ended up having a party.  People from the next camper came over and brought homemade ice cream and we've had a great time.  Now it's time to wind it down and get some sleep.  Today's ride was 540 miles fighting a northeast wind.  Not as bad as last Saturday but enough to make me a little tired.  Final leg of the trip starts tomorrow and with luck I'll be home before 1500.  Pat tells me that its been raining hard in our area for a couple of days.  I'm hoping it will move off before I get there.  Weather here in Illinois is beautiful; but cool.

Glad to hear that our Seattle crew are doing well and that "Don the Wonderboy" was able to fix Bonnie's bike.  You da man, Don.

Ride safe you guys and we'll do the recap over the next few days.  I think I have some photos I want to add to the "photo section page".  Feel free to upload whatever you think will add to our overall adventure.  Wish it could go on forever but it's time to return to the real world.  Sure been great for the past week and a half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment