Sunday, July 8, 2012

Work, work, and then, more work....


That pretty much has been my life for the past two months solid.  And, it is not about to change for the next month.  It was a project for work that was putting my trip in jeopardy.  But I am really hoping to have laid that one to rest.  The thought of getting on my bike Friday night on August 3rd is pretty much what keeps me going through this crazy schedule.  I had two days off in June.  Have not had a day off this month yet.

So, that brings me to just the dream of Sturgis once again. 

There is something about Sturgis that gets in your blood.  It is so much more than just a rally, or the shows that people see on TV.  I can’t tell you how many people have come to me and said, yea, I saw that show.  I wouldn’t be interested.  Well, if you haven’t been, you do not know.  In my opinion, there is nothing like it.  I went for the first time four years ago as one of the good old bucket list items.  Now returning for my third time in four years, safe to say it has become more of a nearly annual pilgrimage.

There is nothing like so many people coming together with a love for the same thing.  Maybe in different ways, or from different backgrounds, or for different reasons.  But, all share that love of the open road, the sun in your hair and the bugs in your teeth.  The love of the incredible and diverse riding that is available when in Sturgis.  National monuments.  Amazing parks, roads, canyons….  It just can not be compared to.

So, I leave you with a picture from Main Street Sturgis, taken today from the web cam.  It looks like any little lonely town on a Sunday night.  But four weeks from tonight, the day I plan to arrive, this street is going to be hopping with a quarter of a million people.  And if you never get the chance, then you will just never really know.  Because it is so much more than anyone could ever tell you.  and if it is not on your bucket list, it should be.



See you on Main street next month…

3 comments:

  1. Now you really have me "itchin" to start riding. I think I'll pull my maps out and look for all the obscure sites I want to see along the way there and the way back. I'm sure Don and Brian (the Sturgis veterans) will show me all the "good" rides while we're there.

    Another item on the "bucket" list will be checked off this year. 22 more days until it's "kickstand" up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie and I have been at the maps lately as well. Could be another couple or two headin' out from these parts as well - we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me the map will be easy. Get on bike, get on I-90, and throttle it. Straight shot. Will have about 6 hours of light that first day. 19 days....

    ReplyDelete