Monday, October 10, 2011

The trip is on

Doc and Don in Seattle
Yesterday I got an e-mail from Don Gentry asking if I could make Sturgis in 2012 instead of waiting for 2013.  I wasn't sure if I could swing two big trips (I also plan to ride to Norfolk, VA for the 2012 Submarine Veterans Convention in September) so I checked with CinCHouse and she immediately gave the OK.  I think she wants me out of the house. 

Don and I first met via the internet somewhere between 8 and 10 years ago.  We are both former Submarine Sailors from the Detroit area.  Don is a youngster and I'm an old pharte but that doesn't interfere with our ability to relate to each other and get along.  We have a love for riding Harley's and reliving some of our escapades when we served in the Submarine Service of the U.S. Navy. 

I first communicated with Don when he had some kind of secret surgery that all Nukes get.  I'm not sure if they put a brain in or took it out; it's all that secret stuff they do so they can work on nuclear reactors and then return to the real world of non-nuke people.

As a former Navy Corpsman (also nuclear trained) I know I gave him great counsel on how to behave in the hospital, how to relate to the medical staff (particularly the nurses since I'm married to one) and how to handle the rehabilitation process.  He would probably tell you that the advice I gave him was out of date, not worth a crap and that as a nuclear trained, qualified submarine sailor, he could handle anything the medical profession could throw at him.  But, I'm in the Eastern Time Zone and he's in the West so I get to tell the first lie, I mean story.  He can tell his version when he wakes up and logs in.

We finally met in person last summer (2010) when I realized a lifelong dream and rode cross country from Michigan to the Pacific Northwest and met up with Don and a number of other former submarine sailors for some great riding, great stories and memories that will last a lifetime.  You can read all about that adventure on the Ridetothenorthwest blog.

Now we're going to do it again in 2012 at Sturgis.  Don has promised to show me some of the outstanding rides I missed when I passed through area last year but didn't allot enough time to see.

That's all for now; this blog will grow over the next 10 months as we continue to plan for the trip and culminate when we link up at the Katmandu Campsite near Sturgis in August 2012. 

Don will be bringing his girlfriend "Bonnie" who I had the pleasure of speaking with last night while they were preparing to make a batch of beer.  She sounds like just the kind of person to keep the young whippersnapper in line and I'm looking forward to meeting her.  Anybody who makes beer is somebody I'm going to be nice to.

1 comment: